For some users, the SysMain host service overloads the Windows 10 disk. It can completely overload a weak computer processor. The services section contains a description of it: maintains and improves system performance. Doesn’t look like a performance boost.This article will tell you what kind of SysMain service loads the disk in Windows 10. In a nutshell, constantly used applications are transferred to RAM in a compressed form in advance. The question is whether it is necessary and can it be completely disabled and in what situation.
What is SysMain Windows 10 service?
The SysMain description is exactly the same as the previously known SuperFetch service. You won’t be able to find SuperFetch in the current version of the operating system, there is only SysMain. Works stealthily in the background, analyzing data in RAM.
Frequently used applications are cached in RAM in advance. The idea is that when you launch an application, it loads several times faster. The service accesses the disk while it is running. The hard disk starts to slow down, which affects the performance of the PC.
In Task Manager, the Memory Structure section displays how much compressed memory is in use or how much data is stored in compressed memory and is actually Reserved (memory containing cached data and code that is not currently being used).
Compared to the classic swap file (which actually can still be managed and configured), the SysMain service runs automatically without user intervention. It can only be disabled or enabled (in fact, it is enabled by default).
How to disable SysMain service in Windows 10
Important! We do not recommend disabling the SysMain host service completely. If it loads the disk or the processor, you can restart it with a few clicks. Owners of powerful gaming computers simply do not need it. Everything starts up with lightning speed for them.
Open the services by running the Services.msc command in a Win + R window . The list of all services (local), go to Properties services sysmain .
Change the Startup Type from Automatic to Disabled . So that the load can be removed Stop and re- Start service.
Run Command Prompt as Windows 10 Administrator . Now run a simple command: sc config SysMain start = disabled .
What the SysMain host service is responsible for is more or less clear. It’s safe to say: for compressing data in RAM. And actually caching them to increase speed. It is possible to enable or disable individual components of the service.
In Windows PowerShell, run the Get-MMAgent command . In the results, see all the components of the SysMain service. I think we need to separately add their brief description.
- ApplicationLaunchPrefetching – system Prefetching for launching the required applications. This is actually the main culprit for disk and processor load.
- ApplicationPreLaunch is actually the function of predicting the launch of frequently used applications. Loads them into memory in advance.
- PageCombining is responsible for combining memory pages with the same content. Reduces the number of requests / memory accesses.
- MemoryCompression – Indicates memory compression.
- OperationAPI – giving other applications access to SysMain (SuperFecth) via API. Microsoft does not tighten the screws for developers.
For example, to disable the MemoryCompression component of memory compression, simply run the command: Disable-MMagent -MemoryCompression . It’s that simple! You can turn it back on: Enable-MMagent -MemoryCompression .
The Prefetcher component is disabled only by changing registry values. Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ Session Manager \ Memory Management \ PrefetchParameters . Change the value of the EnablePrefetcher parameter to 0 .
- In case of insufficient memory, the data compression process takes place. At a minimum, pages with the same content are merged immediately. The number of memory accesses is reduced, and as a result, the amount of data written to disk is reduced. Now you can track the amount of compressed data.
- The SysMain host service is superior to the paging file. On the downside, the system uses processor power to work with compressed memory. Maybe more noticeable on laptops or weak PCs. Then in the manager the disk and processor load is observed.
- The Task Manager in the Creators Update (1703) has the ability to track the use of RAM. In the performance section, you can see the memory structure. You might want to upgrade to the latest version of Windows 10 .
Learn – BEST GAMING KEYBOARDS 2021